• Follow us on:

Gov’t issues RFP for Saglemi Housing units

Local News

1 months ago
Share on:

In a move to finally address the long-stalled Saglemi Housing Project, the government has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) inviting private sector participation in its redevelopment.

This initiative marks a significant shift in strategy, aiming to leverage private expertise and resources to complete the project and contribute to bridging Ghana's housing deficit.

The housing project, initiated in 2012, has been plagued by controversy and delays. Originally envisioned to deliver 5,000 affordable housing units, the project was scaled down to 1,506 units before being abandoned due to legal issues. The partially built structures have suffered from vandalism and theft, adding to the overall project woes.

Announcing the government’s plans to engage the private sector towards the redevelopment of the housing units at a brief ceremony in Accra on Wednesday, April 17, 2024, Minister for Works and Housing, Kojo Oppong emphasized the government’s commitment to seeing to it that the units are redeveloped and handed over for usage.

“Ghanaians want the phenomenon of uncompleted or abandoned mass housing projects to come to an end. Till date, some of the projects from the President Kuffour era are still uncompleted. It adds to the narrative that we don’t finish projects when we start.

“We have a housing deficit of 1.8 million that we’re trying to reduce as the years go by. Already, there are about 40,000 housing units a year that we deliver as a country. That is not enough to close the gap so if all of these projects keep hanging out there, it will deter future projects from being embarked upon. That is why it’s very important that we take advantage of this opportunity to reverse this trend,” he said.

He said the newly issued RFP seeks experienced and reputable local and international investors to partner with the government in a partnership that aims to not only address the housing shortage but also contribute to Ghana's socio-economic development.

Speaking on the specifics of the RFP, Chris Pobee Abbey, Director of Housing and a member of the Technical Working Committee overseeing the project, outlined the key objectives for potential partners. These he said includes completing all 1,506 housing units; developing essential infrastructure like electricity, water supply, proper sanitation, and road networks; ensuring adherence to all legal and regulatory requirements and securing complete financial backing for the project's successful completion.

The evaluation of proposals will be based on a 70/30 split, with 70% weightage given to the financial strength of the bid, including the robustness of the financial plan, evidence of sufficient resources, and a plan for operational sustainability. The remaining 30% will focus on the technical aspects of the proposal, including alignment with project objectives, experience of the bidder, proposed innovative solutions, potential community impact, and a strong risk management plan.

On her part, Dr. Theresa Tuffour, a director at the Ministry who also serve on the Technical Working Committee, assured the public that the selection process for a strategic investor will be conducted with the utmost transparency, integrity, and accountability.  

"The entire selection process will be conducted with fairness, integrity, and accountability," she assured. "We want Ghanaians to be confident that this project is being completed for their benefit."

Presenting the RFP's timeline, an Architect with the Ministry, Foster Oseae Akunnor announced that prospective bidders have until July 8th, 2024, to submit their proposals. Contract signing with the chosen partner is slated for August 30th, 2024.

He said the Ministry looks forward to receiving strong proposals and partnering with a qualified firm to complete the project.

source: Theannouncergh.com